Friday, November 14, 2008

$550 Tree


Here's a picture of one of my two recently moved trees. The trees (Tulip poplurs) had volunteered up in a couple of our flowerbeds, so rather than just killing them I decided to let them grow a whole and then move them.

Unfortunately I got an unexpected surprise when I dug out the pictured tree. Moving the tree went fine, but when I went back to fill in the hole I found it had partially filled with water. It turned out our well had a leak. So that turned into an excavation by a plumber on a backhoe, and a $550 charge. Lots of fun.

On the bright side, if I had not dug up the tree, and therefore had not discovered the leak, I would have wasted lots of energy and money by continuing to have the pump running to pour water down into the ground, which may have eventually eroded away enough dirt to cause a giant sinkhole which could have swallowed the house.

Posted by ShoZu

2 comments:

elder2 said...

you were really lucky to get a plumber so fast. One of my clients was without water and it took 3 days to get a plumber to come out to her house. Sorry about the $ you had to spend. The play thingy looks nice!

Jerry said...

That's a big tree to move...hope you got a lot of roots.